Read more about World Bank-Backed Projects Threaten Indigenous Communities’ Ways of Life
As a tribal group's homes burned in Kenya, a former World Bank official says the bank shut down his efforts to help defend their rights.
Read more about World Bank Projects Leave Trail of Misery Around Globe
Gladys Chepkemoi was weeding potatoes in her garden the day the men came to burn down her house. She is one of thousands of Kenyans who have been forced out of their homes since the launch of a World Bank-financed program. They are not alone.
Read more about How the World Bank Broke Its Promise to Protect the Poor
Over the past decade, the World Bank has regularly failed to enforce its own rules when it comes to resettling displaced people, with devastating consequences for some of the poorest and most vulnerable people on the planet.
- New Law, New Loophole, New Business for Giant Global Bank HSBC
- Pakistan's PM facing Supreme Court over Panama Papers
- How ICIJ revealed the World Bank's broken promises
- Former EU Official Among Politicians Named in New Leak of Offshore Files from The Bahamas
- Work at ICIJ: Now hiring a Network and Security Engineer
Subscribe to our email newsletter and be the first to view our ground-breaking investigations and multimedia.
The ICIJ is dedicated to ensuring all reports we publish are accurate. If you believe you have found an inaccuracy let us know.