- Consent: There have been repeated allegations in Ukraine that human tissue was removed from the dead without proper consent. Some of that tissue may have reached other countries, via Germany, and may now be implanted in hospital patients.
- Safety: Surgeons are not always required to tell patients they are receiving products made of human tissue, making it less likely a patient would associate subsequent infection with that product.
- Tracking: The U.S. is the world's biggest trader of products from human tissue, but authorities there don’t seem to know how much tissue is imported, where it comes from, or where it subsequently goes.
- Former EU Official Among Politicians Named in New Leak of Offshore Files from The Bahamas
- Europe calls on journalists' Panama Papers expertise
- ICIJ publishes leaked Bahamas info to offshore database
- New Law, New Loophole, New Business for Giant Global Bank HSBC
- Bahamas Leaks prompts swift reaction, outrage in Europe
Subscribe to our email newsletter and be the first to view our ground-breaking investigations and multimedia.
The ICIJ is dedicated to ensuring all reports we publish are accurate. If you believe you have found an inaccuracy let us know.