- Consent: There have been repeated allegations in Ukraine that human tissue was removed from the dead without proper consent. Some of that tissue may have reached other countries, via Germany, and may now be implanted in hospital patients.
- Safety: Surgeons are not always required to tell patients they are receiving products made of human tissue, making it less likely a patient would associate subsequent infection with that product.
- Tracking: The U.S. is the world's biggest trader of products from human tissue, but authorities there don’t seem to know how much tissue is imported, where it comes from, or where it subsequently goes.
- Lobbyists for the havens: ICIJ’s guide to the offshore system’s defenders
- Secret Files Expose Offshore’s Global Impact
- ‘The biggest criminals write laws that make their crimes legal’
- Release of offshore records draws worldwide response
- ICIJ Releases Offshore Leaks Database Revealing Names Behind Secret Companies, Trusts
Subscribe to our email newsletter and be the first to view our ground-breaking investigations and multimedia.
The ICIJ is dedicated to ensuring all reports we publish are accurate. If you believe you have found an inaccuracy let us know.