Work with us
Would you like to join the team at ICIJ? We’ll advertise open job opportunities on this page, so please keep checking back in for the latest.
The team at ICIJ is small but highly ambitious, creative, energetic and passionate about our mission: producing investigative journalism with global impact. We value team-players who are willing to go beyond the duties on their job description to help the organization grow. ICIJ prides itself on supporting career development and nurturing skills to help each employee achieve their full potential.
ICIJ is committed to hiring employees from diverse backgrounds with excellent journalism skills. People of color, women, LGBT+, and differently-abled people are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is a fantastic full-time job with career progression opportunities for an ambitious accountant in a fast-growing environment, working as a key individual in a small but high performing team.
The Accountant will work closely with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), our outsourced providers, HR and the Office Manager and will have responsibility for all ICIJ’s accounting requirements. The Accountant will also maintain systems and procedures that support all of our financial management processes.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Maintain up-to-date information in Quickbooks or similar software.
- Prepare cash flow reports and deliver accurate and rigorous revenue and expense variance analysis, clearly highlighting drivers of financial performance.
- Deliver ad-hoc financial/commercial analysis, modelling and reporting including profitability assessment for specific funding projects, or projects associated with ICIJ ongoing operations.
- Manage outsourced semi-monthly payroll processing and monitor ICIJ’s retirement contribution and annual leave.
- Perform all month-end processing, accruals, adjustments, review of general ledger transactions, trial balances and activity statements.
- Assist with management of travel and other work expense reimbursement through an online expense management system.
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations with the office manager.
- Work with our outsourced payment gateway to ensure that all transactions are coded correctly.
- Liaise with our Grants Manager & reconcile monthly donations.
- Manage all GL interphases.
- Perform annual 1099 reporting process with vendors; coordinate the preparation and filing of other tax forms (IRS-990, etc.)
- Lead ICIJ’s annual audit preparation including providing materials and schedules to the auditors as required.
- File all accounting records, including but not limited to vendor payments, bank reconciliations, deposit records, payroll records, funder grants.
- Other duties as required
- Accounting degree.
- CPA qualifications an advantage but not critical.
- Experience in management accounting with a good understanding of financial accounting.
- Thorough knowledge of QuickBooks or similar accounting software.
- Strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills with a can-do attitude.
- 4+ years of experience working in a non-profit or professional environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience applying United States Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), laws, regulations, and internal policies related to the areas of responsibility.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work autonomously, as well as in a team environment.
- High level of PC literacy particularly in Excel & Word.
Are you interested in applying?
Please send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you think you’re the right candidate for this position to Gordon Dunlop.
IT Support Specialist
We are currently seeking an IT Support Specialist to join our team in Washington, D.C.
This is a full-time position, based in Washington, D.C. As IT Support Specialist, you’ll have to work closely with our editorial and data team.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing the technical support of ICIJ’s devices
- Ensuring the quality of the services offered by ICIJ to its partners
- Keeping track of the staff’s individual configurations (OS, versions, etc)
- Overseeing software licenses and installation for the team
- Coordinating hardware acquisition and integration
- Managing local networks to oversee potential problems and flaws
- Helping the staff to understand and maintain high quality standards in terms of digital security
- Establishing best practices and policies
- Backing up individual computers
- Assisting the Data Team with providing support to ICIJ partners
- Helping tracking issues with the platforms and tools provided by ICIJ
- Assisting with the on-boarding of new hires
Your skills and experience:
- 3+ years of experience
- Strong experience providing enterprise level PC support services.
- General understanding of software/hardware/network systems
- Excellent knowledge of products including Microsoft Windows, MacOS, Office 360, Adobe, and antivirus utilities
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with users
- Ability to solve problems using effective troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Active listener, ensuring the users needs are fully understood with appropriate solutions effectively set and delivered
- Outstanding communication skills (verbal and written)
- Attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple tasks or projects. Recognizes difficult situations and prioritize accurately
- Enthusiastic motivated self-learner who like to work in a challenging environment
- Relevant current IT certifications
- Experience with encryption tools (GPG, Enigmail, Veracrypt, etc)
- Experience with newsrooms
- Experience with installing and managing Open source software
- Languages (German, Spanish or French)
Are you interested in applying?
Please send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you think you’re the right candidate for this position to Pierre Romera.
ICIJ is committed to hiring employees from diverse backgrounds. People of color, women, LGBT+, and differently-abled people are strongly encouraged to apply. To work out of ICIJ’s Washington, D.C., office, candidates must be U.S. citizen or already have a valid work visa to work in the United States.
The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) is a global network of more than 200 of the world’s best reporters in 70 countries who collaborate on large-scale investigations on issues that do not stop at national frontiers: cross-border crime, corruption, and the accountability of power. Recent projects include the Paradise Papers, Panama Papers, the Evicted and Abandoned investigation into the impact of World Bank projects, Skin and Bone and more.