Read more about World Bank Does Little As Villagers Threatened and Jailed for Protesting Big Projects
Rights campaigners claim the World Bank has repeatedly failed to intervene to stop its borrowers from cracking down on critics.
Read more about The World Bank Group's Uncounted
In India, fishing clans claim a giant power plant project backed by $450 million from the World Bank Group neglected to account for harm it would do to their livelihoods and way of life.
A claim filed in a US court on Thursday charges that the development lender ignored risks in financing a big coal-power plant in India.
Read more about How the World Bank Broke Its Promise to Protect the Poor
Over the past decade, the World Bank has regularly failed to enforce its own rules when it comes to resettling displaced people, with devastating consequences for some of the poorest and most vulnerable people on the planet.
- New Law, New Loophole, New Business for Giant Global Bank HSBC
- Pakistan's PM facing Supreme Court over Panama Papers
- How ICIJ revealed the World Bank's broken promises
- Former EU Official Among Politicians Named in New Leak of Offshore Files from The Bahamas
- Work at ICIJ: Now hiring a Network and Security Engineer
Subscribe to our email newsletter and be the first to view our ground-breaking investigations and multimedia.
The ICIJ is dedicated to ensuring all reports we publish are accurate. If you believe you have found an inaccuracy let us know.