Sebastian Mondial, Germany, is a freelance data journalist and research specialist based Hamburg, Germany.
His field of work ranges from regional data reporting to multinational investigative data projects. Apart from reporting, he passes more then 10 years of data experience on to other journalists as a coach.
His data focus starts in the early 2000 working for Google while studying journalism. Noticing that Google (at that time) was not data-aware, he focusses more on how to find and extract data. As a result of a presentation on "programming data robots" at the 2006 German Investigative Journalism Conference he was given the chance to team up with colleagues to design and run Germany's first full-fledged data unit for the german press agency DPA. After that he worked as a specialist in investigative reporting, as a development editor for information management in newsrooms, and an expert on security in the exchange of sensitive information.
Email: Contact a reporter
- After Panama Papers success, ICIJ goes independent
- Panama Papers investigation wins George Polk Award
- New Law, New Loophole, New Business for Giant Global Bank HSBC
- Former EU Official Among Politicians Named in New Leak of Offshore Files from The Bahamas
- Founders of Panama Papers law firm arrested after raids
Subscribe to our email newsletter and be the first to view our ground-breaking investigations and multimedia.
The ICIJ is dedicated to ensuring all reports we publish are accurate. If you believe you have found an inaccuracy let us know.