Offshore law firm Appleby explained (briefly)
Here’s everything you need to know about one of the world’s largest offshore law firms.
Here’s everything you need to know about one of the world’s largest offshore law firms that was included in the Paradise Papers leak.
What is Appleby?
- Appleby was set up in 1898
- It is a prestigious offshore law firm that has won several awards:
- Corporate law firm of the year in 2015
- Has won Offshore Law Firm of the Year
- Sees itself as an Industry leader
It’s part of the Offshore Magic Circle (an informal collection of the world’s biggest offshore law firms that jostle for the same business).
- It makes $100 million in revenue per year annually
- Has more than 400 employees globally
- It is “hard-working” and “friendly.” according to clients
What does Appleby do?
- Sets up shell companies
- Establishes trusts
- Drafts wills
- Litigates for workplace accidents
- Divorce settlements
- Advises corporations
Where does Appleby work?
- Founded in Bermuda
- Majority of its work is in North America (each of the 50 states)
- Hong Kong office established in 1990
- Office in most tax havens: Cayman Islands, Isle of Man, Mauritius
- First offshore law firm to open an office in mainland China
Who are Appleby’s clients?
- EY (formerly Ernst & Young)
- In 2014, its top 20 clients included these major banks:
- Bank of America
- Credit Suisse
- Wells Fargo
Want more? Read about Appleby’s record of compliance failures.
Prosecutors eye new seizures of old art at the Met
Mar 30, 2023
Canadian lawmakers call for probe into pulp and paper giant following Deforestation Inc. revelations
Mar 22, 2023
Key details withheld, files locked in basements as Ericsson ‘impaired’ US investigation
Mar 16, 2023
Ericsson agrees to $206m plea bargain with US in bribery case
Mar 03, 2023
WANT MORE STORIES THAT ROCK THE WORLD?
Just $10 / month can change the world.